Wednesday, September 21, 2011

red box

not that red box.  although, who doesn't like to get newly released movies for a dollar?  when you can find a red box location with the movie you want, that is.  no, the little red box i am talking about is that blasted facebook notification icon.  who doesn't love to get on their facebook page and seeing that crimson square?  it means someone found something you said important or funny.  it is instant validation.  "hey you.  you are smart. you are funny.  you are better than everyone else.  really, you just rock.  run for president.  i bet you could win."

i admit.  i spend a lot of time thinking about what i can say to make that perfect status.  i try to be witty.  and a lot of time i succeed.  wanna know why?  movie quotes.  song lyrics.  occasionally my own funniness (although i think i am funnier than i actually am).  and i fail miserably sometimes.  at that point, i delete the post and spend 20 minutes trying to come up with something better.  this system seems to have a pretty high success rate.  go me.

it's like magic really, if you think about it.  this little red box is like an instant self-esteem boost.  wouldn't it be great to have that little square pop to tell you how awesome you are whenever you are feeling sad?  i want one to just sit on my shoulder at all times.  some people have an angel and devil.  nope.  forget that.  just give me little facebook notification box and i'll be good to go.  bahhhh only joking.  mostly anyway.

i admit, i wish we lived in a world where that awesome feeling just came all day, every day for every person.  but until then, little red box of wonderful, keep 'em coming, would ya?  much love.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

omg. i love the little red square. i also think i am hilarious (and i'm probably not that funny), but i crack myself up all the time.

i also don't understand how some people don't get rid of the red square (ie my little sister)... i just can't help but click on it to see who wants to be my friend or what someone commented or who commented on my wall, etc. when she logs in it says 84967 friend requests, 4949 unread messages.... I just can't stand not clicking them! :)

great post!

xoxo,
Caroline

Kateka said...

HA! So true. It is nice to get validated on facebook. HOWEVER, I hate it when I have no notifications so I am trying (TRY, keyword there) to not care whether or not someone comments on what I say and instead am trying to validate myself more? That sounds weird. REGARDLESS, it really does feel nice when people read your stuff and leave comments.