Friday, May 20, 2011

Alayna Hope

Alayna Hope Abbott was born December 9, 2010. She weighed 3 lbs, 13 oz and was 17 inches long. When Tracy, my cousin, was 24 weeks pregnant, the doctors found some complications on an ultrasound. After some genetic testing, the doctors confirmed that this little baby had a genetic disorder called Trisomy 18. Trisomy 18 means that there is 3 of the 18th chromosome, and usually means that there will be no brain function and problems with the heart, lungs, intestines, and many other things. Many babies with Trisomy 18 will not carry to full term, and if they do, are most likely only going to live a few short hours.

Alayna surprised us all. After she lived for a week, we all knew it was a miracle. She kept fighting. She survived UTIs, blood transfusions, bacterial meningitis, bronchitis, and so many other things. She spent a good part of her life in the hospital, melting the hearts of all the doctors and nurses at PCMC.

On Wednesday, after weeks of being in the hospital, sweet little Alayna Hope passed away in the arms of her mom. She was 5 1/2 months old. She was truly a miracle and touched the heart of everyone who met her. I know she is not suffering any longer, but it will be hard without this sweet, special girl in our lives. I also know that Heavenly Father sends these special children to only the strongest and most faithful parents. Tracy and her family are truly an inspiration on how to have faith in the Lord's plan and how to love unconditionally.

Please keep Tracy, Joe, Jacob, Regan, Ciara, and Brielle Abbott and everyone else touched by Alayna's sweet spirit in your prayers.

These are a few pictures of sweet Baby Alayna Hope.


This was right after she was born. Her arms and legs were still clenched up.
This is Alayna at 5 weeks.

10 weeks old. Tracy, Joe, and the kids threw her a birthday party every week.

14 weeks old and celebrating St. Patrick's day!

This is the most recent picture I have of her.
She is almost 20 weeks old in this picture.


My Uncle Bill is a very talented poet, and wrote this poem for Alayna after she passed away. I would like to share it with you.



ALAYNA HOPE'S POEM


Don't cry Mommy,

Heavenly Father took me home.

Don't worry Daddy,

Up here I'm not alone.


There's people here that

Love me too.

They cradle and hold me tight.

Great Grandma Hirschi

Rocks me to sleep at night.


So don't cry Mommy,

My love will always be there.

And don't worry Daddy,

Even though it didn't seem fair.


Our Brother made it possible,

To be a family again.

Today I sat on His lap

And put my arms around Him.


So don't cry Mommy,

I'm sorry I couldn't stay.

Don't worry Daddy,

We will be together

Again one day.


Bill Hirschi

5.18.2011

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Beautiful! I'm pretty much the biggest cry baby now days. Your family was truly blessed to have her in your lives for so long! She seemed like such a sweetie. Your family will be in my prayers. Love ya Chelsee

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kateka said...

Holy heck, it took everything I had to not cry as I read this at work. Seriously, I was fighting the tears so much. What a beautiful poem, and spirit the baby had. My prayers go to your family! Thanks for this post. It's a nice reminder of what really matters in this life.