Monday, June 6, 2011

Bahhhhhhhhh.

I need some advice.

A person very close to me seems to be struggling and falling away from the church. The past year, this person was surrounded by a lot of non-members and subjected to a lot of influences that were not the best. As far as the church goes, this person just seems to be going through the motions to please everyone else--going to church but will not get involved, doesn't read the scriptures, refuses to pray, even if it is just a blessing on the food. This person has also started dating a non-member.

So. Help me out. The thing I am struggling with is accepting the choices this person makes and trying not to be too judgemental. I love this person with all of my heart, and it just makes me so sad to see them do stupid things. This person knows better and knows the right things to do. I also know that this person does, ultimately, want the blessings of the Church. This person also gets crazy defensive any time I bring up trying to be better or inviting this person to do things that involve the Church. I just don't want this person to throw their life away for something so stupid.

Seriously. If someone could teach me not to be so judgy of the decisions this person if making, I would kinda love it. :)

3 comments:

Kylee & Russell Ahlberg said...

I'm so sorry Chels. I've had a similar experience recently with one of my close loved ones. :) Sometimes I just wish I could make their decisions for them. Hang in there and be the example for them. Sometimes you don't have to say anything at all to teach them what you know to be right. You're awesome!

Kimberly said...

Unfortunately this is one of those things that comes with that agency thing that we all voted for :) I've also had to watch someone I love go down that path too. I think the best thing that you can do is to just keep loving them. You want them to feel like you and your family are a safe haven so that when they do want to make the effort to come back, they will feel comfortable enough to come back. You don't want them to feel ostracized. I hope that made sense. Sometimes I think that it is often meant more of as a trial for those of us who have to watch, then it is for those going through it. Look up 3 Nephi 14:2-5, John 13:34 and Alma 42:15- God is the only one who knows the person's heart and can make the final judgment. Don't underestimate the plan of mercy. Don't stop being who you are and be the amazing example to them, that I know you are. Remember that Christ loved and served those that were outcasts of society. Hope this helps a little :)

Tazia said...

I've seen this happen to one of my close friends as well. Really all you can do is be an example to them, be any kind of support for them, and let them know that you love them no matter what. Sometimes you have to let people fall and be there for them when they wanted to be lifted up again. Its all up to them, I'm sorry you have to go through this though. Fasting and prayer always helps! He's always there to be supportive to you and your friend.