Thursday, October 22, 2009

Best Book EVER.

Ok...so I am already bored with that A-Z blogging idea that I had. Forget that. I have found something even better!
When my Grandpa passed away, we had to go through everything in the house. I found this book called "Uncommon Uses for Common Household Products"...basically the name says it all. My mom told my I was stupid for taking it home...psssh, what does she know. It is the best book I have ever read! There are literally HUNDREDS of things to do with all of these products that you already have at your house...it blows my mind! There are 128 items, plus a completely seperate section called "Uncommonly Good Ideas to Make Your Life Easier", not to mention fun little tid-bits of totally random facts about everything.
This book blows my mind (yes, I am aware how totally nerdy I sound right now). So, instead of doing the A-Z blogging, I have decided to share some of these awesome facts that I didn't know could be done with cooking oil, garlic, ice cubes, peanut butter, spices, yogurt, and 122 other things! I'll probably do a letter each time I blog, and one or two things from every item within that letter. Unless there is nothing cool for that product.
Hopefully, something I post could maybe help you one day! I'm going to be such a good little wifey one day...

Let's start with the A's...
ALUMINUM FOIL:
*Sharpen dull scissors--layer several thicknesses of aluminum foil and cut through them a few times times with your dulls scissors. They'll come out nice and sharp.
*Twice the heat for half the effort--iron your clothes from both sides and cutyour ironing time in half. Simply slip a piece of aluminum foil between your ironing board and your cover. The foil will absorb the heat from your iron and reflect it up into your clothes.
AMMONIA:
*Remove stains from washable fabrics--ammonia will help remove nonoily stains- like those from blood, milk, perspiration and urine-from most washable fabrics. Make a mixture of equal parts ammonia, dishwashing liquid, and water. Shake it together in a plastic squeeze bottle. Apply it directly to the stain, let it stand for a few minutes, then rinse. This should not be used on acetate, acrylic, silk, spandex, or wool. For fragile fabrics, do not apply ammonia directly. Instead, hold the stain over the mouth of an open bottle of ammonia, and let the fumes permeate it. Then gently wash.
APPLES:
*Clean aluminum cookware--dull pots and pans will become bright again when you cook apples, rhubarb, or lemons in them.
ASHES:
*Cut the glare--if you don't mind looking like a football player, you can reduce the glare while driving or working in your yard. Moisten your finger with oil, dip it in ash from your fireplace, and draw dark half-circles under your eyes. (Please, please someone do this. Please)

3 comments:

Mike and Meg said...

I love this. Keep going!

Carly said...

yeah keep it comin!

Tazia said...

I like this too! And I think I will take ash and wipe it under my eyes take a picture and post it on my blog. Just to make your dreams come true. :)