Thursday, October 1, 2009

Do What You Don't Want To Do

Last night, I went to dinner with some of my really close friends from freshman year at Utah State. It was so much fun and very theraputic for me. It was a chance for me to talk about everything in my life to people who didn't know what was going on and who were unbiased about everything.
One of the girls has had a super hard couple of years, and an especially hard 2009. She gave me some advice on how she is living her life now, and that I am hoping to incorporate into my life now. DO WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO DO. Simple as that. Just do those things that you don't want to do.
There are a lot of things in my life that I don't want to do. And a lot a lot of things that I want to do, but am too embarrassed or shy or something to actually do them. So, I have vowed that I am going to start doing those things that I dont want to do. Here are a few of those things...
1) Go to a singles ward. I really really HATE singles wards. Especially the ones by where I live. Basically the people from high school that I want to talk to and want to see, I do. Plus, I don't like having a calling, so I have a habit of jumping from ward to ward every Sunday. Starting next Sunday (since this Sunday is Conference), I am going to go to a ward and stick to it.
2) Work out. I hate working out. I can never find the motivation to do. I like the way that I feel after I have a really good work out, but I just hate doing it. But, I need to get healthier so I am going to do.
3) Make new friends. Not being in Logan and around all the thousands of college kids, it is hard for me to meet new people. And I work at a middle school, so I am not meeting anyone there. But at home, most of my friends that I know here are married or moved away to school, so there is a major need for me to meet new people to hang out with. I'm tired of being such a home body.
4) Find myself a husband. Or boyfriend. You may think this is a joke, but I am serious. And I have had a lot of people tell me "Stop looking and stop wishing and stop waiting for it to happen, and it will happen." That is a load of crap, if you ask me. I'm hoping that if I do #1 on this list, #s 3 and 4 will happen too.
5) Stop feeling sorry for myself. I get so caught up in the negative in my life, and I wallow. And that seems to make me feel better for a little while. No more wallowing. It is going to be hard, but I am going to do it.
6) Don't get annoyed with my brother as much as I do. My brother, who I love dearly, is one of those people who just knows how to push every single button I have. And he bothers the crap out of me. I'm going to work on not letting his little quirks bug me.
7) Become a True Aggie. I have a huge fear of public embarrassment. I am terrified of standing up on that A and waiting to see if someone I don't know will come up and kiss me. But it is one of the those rites-of-passages that only Utah State Aggies get, and I am going to do it before I graduate.
The list is longer. There are a lot of things that I don't want to do on a daily basis, but that I am going to start doing now.
I think it is going to be hard for me to break out of my shell and actually do those things that I really just don't want to do, and it is going to take a lot of coaxing myself into doing them. But, I think this will really help me out a lot.
DO WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO DO.

6 comments:

MaRea Hess said...

I love your new attitude on change. I get really bothered when people act as like change is impossible and it takes years. Elder Holland said "Change is as hard as you want to make it!" Meaning we can change anything we want to. I am reading the book called the Influencer: The power to change anything. I went to Education week and the man who wrote the book did a week long class about change and how we all can. Really that is all repentance is, we change how easy is that. There are a lot of really cool stories in the book. They talk about the number one reason that gets people to be successful is to change their behavior that is causing the problem. You'll do great!

MaRea

Trevor and Natalie said...

Great goals sista! You've inspired me to make some goals of my own. PS... we may be married, but we still love you!!! Keep me updated on those goals. :)

Sarah said...

Good luck Chelsea! I hope doing these things will help you and that you won't hate singles wards as much. (I hate them too!!) It was good seeing you at the game. I hope you have a lot of support being around family and some friends too.

Kateka said...

You'll have to keep us posted and let us know how things are going in like 6 months!

Shanna said...

Thats that wonderful attitude from my Miss Chelsee that I miss! You go girl, you can do whatever you set out to do!

~*The Miller's*~ said...

Hey Chels! I love that saying too! I'm so glad that we got a chance to sit down and talk as well! I have missed you tonz! We need to do it more often okay? Like in a couple weeks or something!! I sure liked catching up! Love ya!!