Tuesday, October 2, 2012

hunting.

killed my first elk this weekend.  but not with a gun.  with a car.  yep.  my mom and i hit an elk driving through spanish fork canyon sunday night.  i will tell you what...it was one of the scariest moments of my life.

we were on our way back from dropping the sista pants off back at school in price.  we had gotten a bit of a late start, so it was pretty late when we were driving back.  i realllllllly hate spanish fork canyon.  there is some seriously windy roads, lots of traffic and semis, and a lot wildlife.  i had gotten pretty car sick on the way down.  so on the way back, i had been laying down quite a bit.  one of my biggest fears is getting in a car accident, so i was consistently praying "please don't let us hit a deer, please don't let us hit a deer."  we had just gotten back into cell phone range, so i was answering my texts when all the sudden i feel this incredible force.  a force like we hit a brick wall.  the next thing i remember is not being able to breathe from all of the crap the airbag released and not not being able to get my seat belt undone.  my mom had gotten us over to the side of the road and out of the way by the time i came to.  i must have blacked out.

fortunately we were both ok.  no broken bones, no cuts.  it could have been so much worse.  a nice gentleman pulled over to help us.  he was headed back into the canyon and was inches away from hitting the elk himself.  when he saw us hit our brakes, he turned around to make sure we were ok.  he was so nice and stayed with us until the police arrived.  45 minutes mind you.  yep.  45 minutes is how long we had to wait for the police to show up.  in the freezing cold.  in a canyon.  right by a curve.  seems safe, no?  the cop finally showed, along with a wrecker to tow the silver bullet away.  i rode in the back of a cop car down to where jd came and picked us up, and we finally got home after 1 am.

besides being a little sore and having some bruises, we are both ok.  i feel very blessed to be alive and unharmed.  things could have been so much worse than what they were.  we slept a lot yesterday and ate cafe rio to celebrate being alive.  now my mama has to either get the silver bullet fixed (not likely, since it is probably totaled) or get a new car.  poor mama.

ok.  here are some pictures from our traumatic night.  enjoy.  :)

 poor little stupid elk.
 5 point.  weighs at least 600 pounds, but more likely 800.
 i wanted to keep the rack, but apparently it is against the law.  boo.
 yep.  that is where i was sitting.  i could have died.

 yuck.


 my first time in the back of a cop car.  naturally i had to take pictures.
 save me!

my "arrested" picture.  the cop even offered to let me wear the handcuffs if i wanted.
my "celebrate life" meal.  i couldn't think of any better food than cafe rio to celebrate the fact that i'm not dead.

2 comments:

Kateka said...

Okay, don't mark me insensitive but I laughed at your "stupid elk" caption. Allow me to explain, when I was like... 12, we hit a deer with our van going on Bacchus. Anyway, when we got home from the traumatic event, we were sitting in my dad's office in the basement, his computer was off, and in the dust on the computer screen I wrote with my finger, "DAMN DEER" and then hurried and erased it before my parents saw. Anyway, we share the same sentiment for stupid animals running into cars!

So glad you're safe! And thank heavens for guardian angels (as in that dude who pulled over to help you out, seriously, he was an angel).

Kateka said...

Okay, don't mark me insensitive but I laughed at your "stupid elk" caption. Allow me to explain, when I was like... 12, we hit a deer with our van going on Bacchus. Anyway, when we got home from the traumatic event, we were sitting in my dad's office in the basement, his computer was off, and in the dust on the computer screen I wrote with my finger, "DAMN DEER" and then hurried and erased it before my parents saw. Anyway, we share the same sentiment for stupid animals running into cars!

So glad you're safe! And thank heavens for guardian angels (as in that dude who pulled over to help you out, seriously, he was an angel).